Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network card disabled on boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtshort

IS-IT--Management
Feb 28, 2001
US
I have a strange problem. One machine is running WinXP, the other is running W2K. I've ran online virus scans, Avast boot scanner, Norton Antivirus(installed on both), AVGFree, AdAware, SpyBot S&D, Hijack This, CWShredder, PeperFix, Ewido, and anything else that I can find on both machines. They found a few things, but nothing major. Actually the only reason that the WinXP machine is on the net is to connect to ClickStamp Online to print postage. It has no e-mail or anything. I also have been "Googling" it now for about 2 hours.

When these computers are shut down for the night and rebooted the next day, the network card is disabled for no apparent reason. The WinXP machine also asked to be activated every 3 days or so with no hardware change what so ever. Sounds like a bug or spyware to me, but I can't find it if it's there.

I'm at "wits" end. Has anyone else ran across this problem. I would appreciate any info available.

Thanks.

Rob
Just my $.02.

1st delete all that stuff and leave norton on.

To me it sounds like a bad NIC card. Try uninstalling it and reinstalling it.

As far as activating windows over and over? The easy way is to fromat and start over. it sounds like you dont have any thing big loaded anyway.

Or you can find out why the registry is not storing the activation log. Most likely a bad DLL file.

Touler,

Is this both machines that are having the Network card disabled? It might be a driver problem are there updates available?

Xp Keeps requiring to be activated
thread779-968140

XP Activation Loop
thread779-1004125

Check the default Hardware Profile. It might have a "disabled" entry for the network adapter.

As for activation:

Reboot to Safe Mode:
Reboot tapping F8 each second.
Select Safe Mode at the menu

Start/Run
Type "regsvr32.exe regwizc.dll" ENTER
Type "regsvr32.exe licdll.dll" ENTER

Reboot.
Activate

Thanks guys. I'll give it a try.

Rob
Just my $.02.

thats why they say card are plug & pray. Isee like most of you same cards and motherboards and errors are in one and the other works fine. Try installing it in a different slot

Never give up never give in.

There are no short cuts to anything worth doing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back