Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network cannot find the database

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNRUDGE

Programmer
Feb 10, 2004
GB
We are running a network of 2 PCs, both running Windows XP. We are sharing an Access database which, when initially setup, can be accessed by either machine, but after it is accessed by the machine on who's hard disk it sits it cannnot then be opened by the other machine, although it can be seen when clicking on the icon you get the message "Microsoft Access cannot find the database file" then the path. What am I doing wrong? We are beginners so a simple solution would be greatly appreciated.
Any ideas?

I too am getting this error. The database can be accessed locally on either machine, but not from a client across an XP Pro network, even though the client can create and delete a text file in the same shared folder.

I'll report back if I find the answer, but would be grateful of assistance.

Steve

We appear to have solved this problem by removing the Option 'Compact on Close' from the database. Don't ask me why but its working now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back