Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberspace

Technical User
Aug 19, 2005
GB
Possibly not the exact right forum for this, but it's the closest!

The scenario:

One of the directors of the company I work for has a flat in Dubai.

He has asked me to investigate a solution that will allow him to have a camera plugged directly into his internet conenction (ADSL) or via a router if necessary(ie. no PC!), and then be able to view this camera from home/office back in England.

I have seen quite a few, for example, there are a number of products here:

I am wondering if anybody has had any experience with any of these products, or can suggest an alternative product. Also bear in mind that it needs to be able to be set up by a non-IT user!

Many thanks in advance.

You might be better off financially and technically to have it connected to a pc rather than a standalone one especially as it's being setup by a non techy.

I for one would look at getting an old laptop or small desktop (maybe a shuttle or something equally as small) and connecting it up somewhere, possibly having the camera only being activated by movement. Once activated you could have the images (say one every 2 or 5 seconds) uploaded to a website and viewed remotely.

I know techies who have preferred this method over the more expensive and technical solutions out there.

SimonD.

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Thanks for that Simon, gives me something to think about!

Cyberspace,

If you haven’t come up with a solution yet I have 6 axis tech ip cameras about $250 each, if he is getting more the one static ip address great if not he will have to purchase a router and NAT it out to be able to reach it from the internet via the software they provide.

Axis cameras are a great low cost solution.We use static cameras and PTZ units. The built-in web server makes it easy to setup.

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back