Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Came to Screeching Halt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superbaker

IS-IT--Management
Jun 21, 2002
US
This week the network came to screeching halt. Files take forever to open across the network. We are on an NT4 domain but most of the servers are Windows 2000 including the 2 Wins servers. Monday morning the PDC crashed. I promoted a BDC to a PDC and everything seemed to be working fine but now all files take forever to open and keep timing out before opening completely. I started looking at the packets with Etherpeak and noticed there are a lot of ARP Requests going on. I’m plugged into the same switch as the servers and 70% percent of the packets are ARP Requests. Most of the computers send out the requests keep asking for the same things over and over again. Many are also looking for the old PDC. This seems like a lot of broadcast traffic to me but a possible cause to the network slowdown. Does the seem normal or is there something else going on that causes files to open slow?

Thanks

James

I imagine you are running NetBIOS, so the question is...Do you have a WINS server or LMHOSTS files setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back