Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Cabling Course 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Does anyone know of any hands-on network cabling course taught by distance? Please give me web address or any info. Thanks much.

DV

I am unaware of any "distance taught" cabling courses...but, I can recommend an excellent book I picked up about two weeks ago. The title is: "CABLING The complete guide to network wiring" by David Groth, Jim McBee, and David Barnett. The publisher is SYBEX ( and the ISBN # is 0-7821-2958-7. This is a wonderful book, and should give you an excellent start. Another cool read is from O'reilly entitled "T1: a survival guide" ( I hope that this helps in some way, I am not sure that this is what you really want, but hope it helps.

I have the Groth & McBee book also and recommend it as well. Excellent wiring reference. This one also has very good illustrations and a large section of color photos.

Another one to check out is the BICSI manual "Telecommunications Cabling Installation" available from McGraw Hill ISBN 0-07-137205-9 That one focues a little less on the nuts and bolts of "wiring" and more on the architectural aspects of campus cabling.
Jeff
I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

There are plenty of good books out there that will help you understand the concepts of cabling and teach you how to pull cables, terminate them and test them, but you really do need hands on experience! Stripping CAT5 without cutting into the wires and terminating it without taking too much twist out can be a real art and takes practice to become confident. It's not hard but it takes some work learn it!

Maybe you could get some work experience with a local cabling firm!

Good luck.

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
Technical Support Engineer

Bicsi will come to you. and give you and how ever many people you can get into a class.

We had BICSI come to our site to deliver a couple of courses on cabling to our technical staff. Problem with the BICSI programme was that our tech staff are graduates from a 3-yr technical college and the course that they gave was aimed at electricians with a different skill set. So there were some bad feelings from the staff in particular the new employees right out of school.

However they produce what I use as my cabling bible the "Telecommunications Cabling Installation Manual" mine cost my company about $100 US 4 years ago

If you are looking for something basic on the web I don't remember the URL but try looking for cableu.

Hi Partner,

Try seeing if local Community College has a course(s) on cabling at night. If you want to save $$, try going to local public library or college / university for book(s) on cabling.

How about finding volunteer service? Check local community Government offices for volunteer list.

Hope this will help.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back