Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Attached Storage causes shakes in Win Explorer 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgithens

Technical User
Apr 4, 2002
US
SETUP:
I have approximately 20 users using a Snap NAS Fileserver. All users are WinXP (mix of Pro vs. Home). 100mbit PEER-TO-PEER network with hubs (not switch). Snap server is mapped as Drive Z. All users run AutoCAD, Norton AV 2003, no messenger clients, outlook for email, internet explorer. Computers are of different makes-hp,dell,etc.

PROBLEM:
When using Windows Explorer the screen refreshes about 4 to 8 times per second. It appears as a jitter on the screen. You can get an idea of what it looks like by rapidly pushing F5 in an explorer window. I can find zero information about this occurrence.

ATTEMPTS:
The first thing I had run across about anything that might cause something like this was Microsoft's FindFast. I am running Office XP, which installs something called "Microsoft Office Startup", (or something like that)to the 'startup' folder causing this to launch. I have uninstalled this program from every user. The problem still persists. (my logic was that findfast is indexing all drives in the background, so maybe inactive users were nailing the network shared drive)

OBSERVATIONS:
One thing I have noticed is that it doesn't occur all the time. I have seen instances where certain users could close Windows Explorer and it would not flicker for the other users, but the next day the flicker would occur regardless of which users were actively "exploring".

BEGGING:
Please, please help me.... thanks a ton... [bigcheeks]

I really have never seen this. My thoughts would be to in Explorer go to Tools, Folder Options, and check to disable caching of thumbnails, and disable pop-up descriptions.

If you can create additional folders and move files into them rather than have a very long listing of files this would help a lot, as it reduces the information Windows has to scan to present the folder view.

I have the same issue in our network. We are running XP Pro on the workstations, some notebooks, some desktops. The network is 2000 Server. I notice the shaking also when I access files on our SnapServer using Windows Explorer. Thought it was just me or maybe the pink elephants running up and down outside my office!

Any thoughts would me mucho appreciated.

ok, so Microsoft aknowleges that the "shakes" are a problem and it is caused by SMB requests and they do provide a fix. Turns out this fix is a complete waste of time. The fix was a regedit to stop "NoRemoteRecursiveEvents" but it doesn't change a thing. This seems logical and I am starting to believe that this is just hocus pocus trying to shut people up.

The problem persists and my users are getting more and more frustrated. The flicker has gotten worse as all users now have the hotfix that started all this, I guess there will be a Service Pack 2 coming along pretty soon??

I had a similar problem, but was not using Snap server--just a plain old vanilla Win2K Compaq. I tried both of the microsoft fixes with no help. Called my network guys and they upgraded my Norton (Symantec Corporate). The problem went away for a long time(weeks), but now it's back again.

Anyway, I think it is the Norton that's causing the problem, and that they pushed the old release back down to my workstation.

Go figure.

Tranman

A new one for you to try.

Start, Run, regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Update

In the right pane you will see a setting named UpdateMode, which controls the Explorer refresh rate To set this rate at its fastest, change the value of UpdateMode to 0.

(Suggested by Kelly Theriot)

Hi,

I had the same problem with the constant flickering, and I must say that the Microsoft solution worked for me. I had to install the 810565 critical update first, but after that and adding the reg key it worked fine. See article 6526 at for a detailed description.

Good luck!

I'm actually experiencing this problem on a WIn2k machine and solutions for windows XP didn't work for me...

any idea?

You noted in the Win2003 Server Forum: "I just wanted to comment, that i'm experiencing the same Problem on my Win2k Machine at home not being within any internal network, and until now, I haven't found a solution for it..."

The XP KB Hotfix does require both the patch and the registry edit to work.

The registry edit mentioned above does apply in Win2k:

Start, Run, regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Update

In the right pane you will see a setting named UpdateMode, which controls the Explorer refresh rate To set this rate at its fastest, change the value of UpdateMode to 0.

Are you using a SNAP server? Or what brand and model of external hard disk subsystem are you using?

I also have this problem browsing a SNAP server after applying Q810565_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe and updating the NoRemoteRecursiveEvents setting in the registry. The other registy setting mentioned in this thread, UpdateMode, at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Update also had no effect. I don't notice it when browsing WIN2K or NT4 shares though. It also comes and goes sometimes for hours sometimes for days. Today it's driving me crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back