Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Associates McShield service doesn't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic2001

IS-IT--Management
Nov 27, 2002
I am currently testing VirusScan Enterprise 7.1.0 on several computers & servers across a full range of OS's.

The majority of machines are experiencing a problem starting up the McShield service on the bootup. When I look at services on a XP machine, the service says "paused".

If I don't wait a few minutes and try to start the service manually, I get an error also.

Does anyone know what the problem is ?

No errors at all.

If I wait a while, I am able to start the service manually and/or through the console.

I'm going to call McAfee tech support today.

I have the same problem on several server. Did you hear anything from McAfee. Some machines I can log on and start manually, but that should be unnecassary. Others just won't start.

I am currently working with McAfee on this and should have an answer shortly.

When I start my home network I get the message McShield.Exe has created an error. An error log is being created. Anyone know the solution?

I installed McAfee 4.5.1SP1 on my XP Home Edition. McShields terminates with a fatal error when I try to switch to any user. Also trying to start it manually causes a fatal error.

The readme says McAfee doesn't support fast user switching on XP Home Ed., but
1) I don't know for sure whether that's the cause of the problem
2) McAfee doesn't inform me how to get 4.5.1SP1 working.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Andreas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back