Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network appliance / agent to protect from spyware

Status
Not open for further replies.

stech1

MIS
Oct 16, 2003
US
I have a small workgroup of ten computers. My users keep getting spyware on their machine. I am wasting alot of time going through the whole spyware thing with hijack this, spyware, adaware, etc.
Is there any combination of network appliance and software agent that will allow me to configure not only network security but also protect my workstations from spyware? I would like to manage everything from a central loacation.

I don't really want to go to a domain but I will if I have to.

TIA

Most spyware runs on port 80, so it's hard to block it while not blocking legitimate traffic.

There are software programs that block the known spyware-vulnerable parts of a system, however.
Spybot has built in "immunization" that will lock down most of the major spots that get infected. I woul definately recommend turning that on.
Another free program that does this, but with many more definitions, is Spywareblaster
Both are highly recommended and work great for known problems. Just keep them updated.

A proxy server will help. There are free lists and paid services which are updated with "bad" urls.

For an appliance, most major AV vendors have something. Trend Micro, McAfee and Symantec all have some type of appliance. I think Trend's is software-only, but I'm not sure.

we use the immunize feature on spybot with good results.
just be sure to check the box to install the Browser Helper to block bad downloads on the immunize page.

The immunize function on Spybot cuts down on but doesn't completely stop spyware from settling in.

McAfee has a webshield appliance or it can be run on a computer. Of course they prefer to sell the appliance because it's about $7,000 or used to be anyway.

In August, McAfee Virus Scan 8.0i will be coming out and can be used for adware and virus detection. It also has a personal firewall that can be set up to block everything on a port except for communications you specifically define, i.e., an exchange server for instance.

From what I can tell from offers I'm getting from various virus manufacturers, that's the coming thing with several of them already having it on the market. A CA rep called yesterday saying it's optional on their product.

It may be cheaper to use an a/v software solution than the hardware route but I haven't looked this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back