Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Antivirus Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyA

IS-IT--Management
Nov 1, 2001
US
I would like to put a network anti-virus application on one of my servers. I want to know if anyone knows of an application that can go on a centrelized server and scan shared drives. So i dont have to worry about going to each machine and setting up a Anti-virus application. If anyone knows of one and can just let me know the name i will look further into it from there. Thanks in advance.

Mike

Why ???
You would be causing far more problems than you could possibly solve. You would have to have every HD shared from the root and mapped to a drive letter on the server, this would only give you 22 assuming 1 HD (no CD) in the server and 'Z' used for 'NETLOGON' and if any machines were offline when the scan starts you then could have one crashed AV product. The list of impracticalities could go on and on.
If you use a good network AV product NAI TVD, Sophos, NAV, (OK maybe not NAV as over the last 2 weeks every virus sent to my servers has been from people using NAV). You get a solution that can be installed, updated, upgraded, monitored, & configured to every desktop, laptop & remote user without any user involvement or input, all without leaving your desk.
My personal choice would be Network Associates TVD (McAfee) with Sophos a very close second.

Chris.

Using Nortons, I can install and scan from my desktop, but they have to be NT machines to install remotely.

We use Inoculate IT, can be found at Once the software is loaded on the clients, all updates are pushed from the server, all management is done on the server as well. You can also buy a piece for your Exchange Server. It has worked well for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back