Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Administrator Check-list 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mzeng

MIS
Oct 14, 2004
US
Hi All,

i am searching for a Network Administrator procedure check list. For example, things to check on the server each morning, or also month maintenance. Things that i network or system administrator should do on a daily or monthly base. This might sound strange, but i just got a job as a network administrator and i'm trying to create a maily and month check list for myself. Any good advice... Thank you all..

I generally check :

Disk Space
Event logs
UPS logs
Bad mail queue
Anti-virus software updates
Rotate tapes
Check backup logs
General walkaround the servers (if possible because I do manage some servers that are in other locations)
Performance monitor
Firewall logs (haven't really had time for this)
Speak to the users and see if anything even minor disturbances have appeared...

That's what I kind think of...

Also check (at least weekly, if not daily) any media libraries for adequate media (such as optical media in a juke box or cd/dvd farm)

Check the status of any database backups to ensure that nightly processing has completed.

And don't worry about the users running into minor problems. To them it will be major, esp. if they can't get their work done!

Also consider defragging server hard drives (if you are in a Windows environment) on a regular basis.

Hi,

I think a list or daily check list is a good idea but the secret is prioritising the jobs. Are you working alone?
Otherwise I would start the day with the backup logs.

Create change control files for all servers and netwok equipment that is manageable. Keep that up to date.
Previous advice suggested defragmenting. Good idea. But get DiskKeeper its automated.
Try and automate log filtering to get the real info you need from the logs. If your with a big company ask if you can budget for some real applications,like Patrol, HP Operations or Tivoli even GFI has great stuff to keep the availability side up for the management.

I'm looking for something along these lines as well. mzeng if it would be possible would you mind sharing your checklist when you get it put together. I've been wanting something along these lines.

Few questions:

What do you mean here?
Create change control files for all servers and netwok equipment that is manageable

Not sure what you mean here as well.
Also check (at least weekly, if not daily) any media libraries for adequate media (such as optical media in a juke box or cd/dvd farm)

When he says Change Control Files he's talking about basically having a document for each device that you use to log changes that you make to it (added new hardware to a server, installed new program, etc). Any time that you make a change to the configuration you log what you have done so that you (or someone else) can figure it all out later.

Media libraries are basically mass storage devices that have a couple of read-write devices (optical disk writers, tape drives, etc) and slots for lots of media for them. This allows you to have automated backup/archiving processes that span multiple pieces of media.

Sysadmin:
Sorry this took so long to respond furthewer. Anyways, you need to ensure that you have enough writeable media in what ever you use to write files/imaging documents/etc to on a regular basis. Saves a lot of headaches by checking every day or so, depending on your current volumne of output. Here, where I work, we have two jukesboxes that hold optical media (think 8" diameter floppy disks, sort of). Some departments documents file a single piece of media about every 2-3 weeks, depending on how much work we get from them. Others can fill a single piece of media in a day or so. Without the media in place, labelled and ready to go, you have unneccessary problems.

ok i think i get what you mean. We use tapes to backup all our server every day. Is that what your referring too?

Does anyone have any examples of checklists they use to run throug there daily tasks?

Network Administrator Operational Checklist

DAILY

Review Track-It
Review server performance
Review server/router monitoring software
Check the web for latest threats

WEEKLY

Follow up on old Track-It tickets
Review SUS/WUS and approve updates
Manually check/update all servers
Review antivirus updates
Review Exchange logs
Review firewall logs
Change backup tapes

MONTHLY

Run MBSA scan
Run port scan
Review server event logs
Review antivirus logs
Review backup logs
Review SQL backup logs
Review maintenance/support contracts that may be close to expiration
Check disk space on all servers
Consider running the ISINTEG tool on Exchange regularly
Do a test restore from backup tapes

I'd add just one thing to that - this depends on how you're setup, but I also need to keep a stock of toner and ink cartridges for printers - and our lovely people don't always tell me when they've used them.

If thats in your domain, add it to the list.

My version of the above:

Network Administrator Operational Checklist

DAILY

Review Track-It
Review server performance
Review server/router monitoring software
Check the web for latest threats
Review antivirus updates and logs
Change backup tapes
Review backup logs
Review server event logs
Review SQL backup logs
(logs MUST be checked every day not month otherwise you've had no backup for a month!)

WEEKLY

Follow up on old Track-It tickets
Review SUS/WUS and approve updates
Manually check/update all servers
Review Exchange logs
Review firewall logs

MONTHLY

Run MBSA scan
Run port scan
Review maintenance/support contracts that may be close to expiration
Check disk space on all servers
Note server space usage (broken by share if applicable) in Excel so you can use that to predict disk space usage requirements
Consider running the ISINTEG tool on Exchange regularly But don't do anything other than consider it

QUARTERLY

Do a full DR restore from backup tapes

This thread is the most relevant to my situation that I have ever found.

Does anyone know if there is a forum/list that deals with newbie admin stuff?

Not just 2000 server info or what-have-you, but general best practices and advice.

Do be sure and let us know if you find that list/forum for newbie admins.

Nothing really as you'd drop in, get your knowledge up and move on. It should really be an FAQ document in a forum rather than a forum on its own.

Feel free to write one!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back