Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network Admin Certs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

primeaum

Technical User
Aug 31, 2009
US
Okay, I want to take some cert tests and I'm looking for some direction on which way to go first. In the end I would like to do all of these.

Network+
ICND1 & ICND2 (to become a CCNA)
MS Server 2008 Exams 70-640, 70-642, 70-646

I'm guessing I should do the Network+ first and go from there...what are everyone's thoughts? What would help out more?
thanks

What kind of experience do you have?

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

I've been working for 5 years at the same company and do the majority of their network work for them. We have a Cisco core network (routers/firewalls/distribution switches). I also do a lot of server work and still do desktop support. I wear many hats. We have Server 2003 and 2008 implemented, as well as WinXP and starting to roll out 7. I've been through a training class already on Server 2008 and went to school for general networking (they didn't offer specific Cisco classes when I attended) and server administration.

And thank you for your reply, any advice is appreciated.

Well, it would depend on if you were planning to do more work in the internetworking space or server work and if you're intending to move to another job. However, I will say that if you complete your CompTIA certifications before the end of 2010 then you will have a certification for life. If you wait until 2011 to get Network+ then you will have to recertify every few years.

If you're comfortable staying with the same company for awhile then it probably doesn't matter much which order you do them in. But do keep in mind that the Network+ is considered an entry-level certification, so once you have the CCNA the Network+ will be largely irrelevant.

Thanks for the CompTIA info, I wasn't aware they were changing that. It seems like most of the jobs I find around my area require someone with experience in both networking and servers so that's why I want to do both. I guess I'll start with my Network+ and then decide on the rest of the certs. Thanks again for the info, I really appreciate it.

The truth is that it is very difficult to do much "server work" without understanding networking. You don't necessarily need to know how to configure routers and switches (not at all jobs, anyway) but possessing a strong conceptual understanding is extremely useful.

CompTIA is worthless. Microsoft is worthless. I know this from experience.

Do you really want to get into this argument again? CompTIA and Microsoft certifications may be useless to you personally but many people in the industry find them very useful, especially if they work for a Microsoft partner or have to deal with specific vendor requirements in their contracts. Clearly the OP sees value in those certifications, so your comments about them being worthless are pretty worthless in themselves.

All I know is my own experience in the job market. I didn't find them to be helpful. Needless to say, this is not what I wanted to find. I spent a lot of time on those certifications. I certainly could have done something else with my time and wish I would have.

Unless you change job and find something that is more focus on either Microsoft or networking. Either one will help you do your present job and may be helping you to find your future job.
Unless you are focus in one area, you are not going to be good in it. Your pick!

Where do u want to go?

If u want to stay there, it sounds like the Ms and Net+ can be pretty helpful to u whilst increasing your value to the company.

If, however, u forsee jumping ship in the next year or two, consider what u want to be doing. If u like the 'server guy stuff' then Ms training sounds pretty useful. If u want to break-away and focus more on networking, the CCNA is a great entry-level cert. If u're not sure how into networking you are or aren't, then the Net+ would clarify that for you, i'm sure.

that helps?

Ixix CC, SWE, LCNCS-C, LNCS-OF ,3CSA, 3CNTS, 3CSE, NNCAS, NNCDS, ENA, ENA-PS, ENS, CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, CCDP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back