Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

network addresses and network traffic 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lengoo

IS-IT--Management
Jan 15, 2002
GH
Dear All,
I was speaking with another consultant with regards to his and my network configuration
I am currently using the network address 10.0.1.x with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and he is using the network address 192.168.1.x, subnet 255.255.255.0
He is saying that mine is a class A range and his is a class C range which I agree but what I'm not 100% sure of is that he is saying that because of this, my network is probably a lot more busy due to all the broadcasting.
My subnetting is the same as that of a class C so in my mind, the amount of broadcasting traffic should be the same. Is there any truth as to what he is saying??
Thanks

I think you are right - because you are using a 24 bit network mask (255.255.255.0) so the only broadcast traffic is from within the 10.0.1.x subnet. So, unless i am mistaken, the broadcast traffic should be the same as 192.168.1.x 255.255.255.0!

If however you were using 255.0.0.0 then yes, it would be a different matter!

Not quite expert at this yet mind, but that seems logical to me! Sure someone can absolutley confim it.

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

As I responded in the thread you started elsewhere, stop thinking classfully. The classful designations are irrelevant here. You both have 24-bit subnet masks and all that really means is that you could potentially have the same number of hosts. That alone will not allow you to predict the amount of broadcast traffic. You need to consider how many real hosts you have, what OS they're running, and what sorts of applications they're running.

Oh, and find a different consultant. If this guy can't figure out that you're both using 24-bit subnets then he is unqualified to be a consultant.

Thanks.. you guys have been great!

jneilberger makes a good point - overlooked that!

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back