Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network adapters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drol

Instructor
Mar 13, 2002
GB
I have been working on a PC that the owner has had on line with no firewall and no anti virus!!! After hours of cleaning up, and deleting some very nasty viruses, I find that none of the Network adapters are working, even when I attempt to load drivers manually I get an error message. I am sure that either the virus attack has deleted some important files, or, maybe I did!
The OS is XP home edition, is there a program available that I can check the PC's integrity with to find out which files are missing? The owner has not got a recovery disk, and I don't have XP

With as many problems as this person has had I'd say a safer bet would be to reinstall the OS from scratch. I'd use Darik's Boot and Nuke and wipe the drive clean then reinstall Windows XP. And get him a good virus scan and firewall right after all the updates.

Really, as bad as you've described it, it is the only way to 100% know the PC isn't still infected with something. Or something has left remnants so your user can just double click on them and reinstall the virus again.

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Before wiping the system give this a try

faq779-4625

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back