Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

network adapter properties mystery in vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyussson

Technical User
Oct 3, 2008
Hi everyone. New member here. I have a problem with my network adapters on my asus m2n-sli delux mobo. My network connections window used to call them local connection 1 and 2, while device manager called them Nvidia nforce network controller 1 and 2. Now both places have changed the designation to 3 and 4. Not a big deal in and of itself. Device manger works fine, but in my network connections window and can't access my properties, rename, delete, anything. It also shows these connections as unplugged (even though I'm currently using the internet. I have repaired, disable/enabled, uninstalled/reinstalled drivers, etc. Notable recent events include installing MagicISO, installing and uninstalling VMWare workstation, and getting a nasty virus on another computer on the network. This computer has been tested extensively to be malware free. I can't imagine what is going on with my Network Connections window. One last clue. The heading over local area connections is "Lan or Highspeed Internet (2)". Maybe the (2) points to the problem. Thanks for the help and once more, I need to get to the TCP-IP properties for my local are connections. Thanks everyone.
sam

Usually when windows does that and adds numbers after the connection names it means it created a new one, and had to add a number to distinguish it from the old one that happens to have the same name. This happens sometimes for me for example when I change the USB port my Wireless Lan card is attached to. It re-installs the card and drivers and generates a new connection with a new number.

I've had it go up to 4 if I continue to plug my land card in different USB ports.

I would guess that maybe something happened with the original installation of the Network adapters, maybe corrupted drivers, and it had to re-install them. generating new connections, but maintaining the old ones for whatever reason.

Try to remove everything you can regarding the network adapters, including all drivers and such.

You may need a piece of 3rd party software to complete the job.

Then have windows re-install them. Hopefully this should return hem to being the only connections available with no numbers.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back