Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

network access periodic

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdunbar

IS-IT--Management
May 15, 2002
US
I have Win2K Server running on a Dell computer. The network interface allows incoming and outgoing traffic to pass for about 6 mins then the interface shuts down for 4-5 mins. It then restarts and allows traffic again. I can't find the source of the problem. Things done so far in an attempt to fix:a) ensure it's not a dup IP, b) ensure it's not a dup computer name, c) local disconnect timeout is set to 0, d) replaced the NIC with another brand and driver
Can anyone suggest other things to look for?

So... I tried replacing the cable, and the switch port we were connecting to. The problem continues.

The NIC is configured as auto. It's running at 100M

Have you tried putting the NIC in a different PCI slot in the computer?

Joe Brouillette

The original NIC card was on the mother board. I put a new netgear NIC in this machine and disabled the original NIC. I tried two different PCI slots. Problem exists in all senarios.

I'm going to make this suggestion, and you're probably not going to like it, but I think it's time to test the OS for corruption. Can you do a parallel install of W2K on this box? Keep it real simple to save time, just the OS and NIC drivers with TCP/IP suite. See if it stays online with the new OS installation....

Does your event viewer show anything? Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com
"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it."
René Descartes (1596-1650); French philosopher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back