Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Network 2 PCs together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newposter

Technical User
May 9, 2002
US
OK, simple maneuver, but not so easy for me in XP. I have two laptops that I want to connect via crossover cable, to transfer files back and forth (one has a CD burner, to allow me to back up both machines). One laptop has Win98SE, the other has XP Home.
Setting up the 98 machine was easy, and it now sees the XP laptop in the Network Neighborhood; but it doesn't have permissions to access it. The XP can't find the 98 machine. What utility in this crazy new menu scheme do I run to allow file transfer back and forth over a direct Ethernet connect? I set up the same username and password login on both, with same workgroup name, thinking that the same Admin on both would allow access by user. What am I missing here, besides the sense that God gave me?

I'm assuming you have XP Home. Share (on the XP machine) the drives (HD and CD) to everyone. Right click on the drive icon in My Computer and properties > sharing (tab).
Then share the drive(s). Yes to the warning about the dangers of sharing the drive. Open the XP shared drives from 98 by clicking on their shares in Network neighborhood. You should then be able to use Windows explorer to drag and drop files from the 98 machine to the XP machine and vis-versa.

Clear? if not post back. ----
"eXPerience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." - annon

Thanks, rjkrash, I did try that and the 98 machine saw the XP laptop, but still didn't have permissions, and the XP machine didn't see the 98 machine at all. Will try again.
mparra, I *DO* have a crossover cable. How do you think I was able to get the 98 machine to see the XP one?

Make sure you are using TCP/IP on both machines as the primary protocol. And, that NETBios over TCP/IP is enabled.

On XP NetBios over TCP/IP is configured from the properties of TCP/IP WINS tab. You set the primary protocol from the Advanced menu > Advanced settings from "Network Connections"

----
"eXPerience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." - annon

If you still can't see the 98 machine after you have verified the protocol settings you could try typing the computer name in the address bar of network neighborhood (or a web browser for that matter). For example, if your computer name is "MY_COMP" then type "\\MY_COMP" in the address box. I have had problems seeing other computers on our network, even after I hit F5 to refresh the list of computers that I currently have access to. But when I type the name of the computer, I can suddenly see all the shares. Also, do you have files/folders shared on both the xp and 98 machine? And how is xp partitioned (fat32 or ntfs)?

Take care, Corey Palmer
AllPro Technology

Not that this is your problem, but be weary of firewall software like Zonealarm or BlackIce. I had to disable Zonealarm on my Win98 pc and Win2K pc before they could see each other...

Also in XP, you should have a sharing tab and a security tab for the folder you're trying to share. Make sure "everyone" is listed under both with full access.

~cdogg

Thanks, I'm running another popular firewall package on the XP Home laptop, will disable it first. However, that wouldn't have had anything to do with not seeing the 98 machine. By the way, I did do a search for the 98 machine by name, which came up empty. I'm running FAT32 on the 98 machine, NTFS on the XP machine.

Check with ipconfig /all on XP and see what the IP address is. Then on the W98 run winipcfg and verify that the Ip address is in the same subnet.
An example would be XP with IP address of 192.168.2.3 if W98 machine is not a 192.168.2.x address then they are not on the same subnet.You could manually set them up. They do need the first three sets of digits to be identical. 192.168.2 the last digits have to be different if XP is 192.168.2.2 then set W98 to 192.168.2.3

Well, right now there's no IP address for either laptop. I guess I didn't make it clear that what I'm doing is simply cabling two standalone laptops together with a crossover ethernet cable. My desktop is the only machine connected to the internet, via cable modem. What I want to do is connect the two laptops so that I can take data off the older Win98 machine and store it on the newer XP machine, and burn it to CD for backup (the older machine has no burner). I used to cable the older laptop to my desktop via Win9x Direct Cable Connection when I was running 98 exclusively, and it worked well but was slow. I was hoping to connect the two laptops in similar manner without constructing an intranet, creating user accounts and assigning permissions and protocols. I guess the newer OS' don't leave me much choice, though.

Have you tried using any of the wizards? I was having difficulty at home between an XP and a 98se connected via a 10/100 hub. The wizard made a floppy to run on the 98 machine and after a few reboots, I could access back and forth no problem.

Haven't had a chance to pursue these good suggestions - had to reload damaged Win2K on desktop last night, am doing taxes tonight. Will post results of my next attempt ASAP.

newposter, found a way to get them to work, just follow Futuretech April 9th reply to this problem above, worked for me. Thanks Futuretech and all who replied good posts.

Futuretech's solution did not work for me. Now I can't even see the XP in the 98's Network Neighborhood, let alone access it. I set the IP addresses to be adjacent numbers and same subnet. And making and running a Network Setup disk on both machines did not work, either. I don't know what else to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back