Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware Version Difference 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 17, 2003
US
I have a weird problem. I have 21 servers that were all setup at the same time and have had the same version of netware after each update. I have one site which I have been away from for some time and have started having utilizations of 51 to 100%. When I look at the monitor screen the version listed is Novell Netware, V6.5 Support Pack 5 - CPR Release. All of my other sites have Novell Open Enterprise Server, Netware 6.5 and they are also at support pack 5. Any suggestions on getting this thing on the same page with the other servers and hopefully calming the utilization down?

From
Netware 6.5

Finally, in NW6.5 at and after Support Pack 3, the abend log shows the Product Version (PVER line) and the increments were consistent, but the version still shows a leading 5 with the 2nd number bumped ("70"). Some required patches added the code "CPR" (for "Critical Product Release") after the version to indicate an important update of the kernel or other core code between Support Packs.

Check your version of Server.nlm I think you have some mismatch in patches between the different servers. Find out which patch is different between all the other servers and the one displaying the different version.

Ok, definitely have a nlm difference but one other thing I noticed is that after a couple of days the utilization goes to 51% and server pretty much slows down on all operations. When I look at the virtual memory config and settings in remote manager it shows me that 99% is swapped and physical memory usage is 0% while my other servers show the exact opposite. I can't find where to change this setting????

There are patches for your issue out there . I am guessing they have to do with your backup system or a JAVA issue. We need more info to help you like what services are on this server ?

I have disabled the backup program which is Veritas and only have Netware items enabled but it very well could be a Java issue. I can post whatever information would be helpful if you would like. Here are some links for screen shots and I am particularly worried about the swap file, it seems to be all swapped to disk where my other servers are using physical memory.

So what else does this server do?
If its just a file server then you could update it to SP6. If not be carefull as SP6 can break some things. There are also some post sp6 patchs that need to be applied also. You will need to run the deploment manager first which is found on the OS disk of the sp6 ISO. Just drop it into your windows workstation and it will step you thru it. I would read all the sp6 docs also.

It's just a file and print server but students and teachers are running applications on it and when you say "Break Things" what type of things should I be looking at if I apply sp6.

The main thing is that there is a Post SP6 iprint patch that you'll need. Keep in mind that SP6 was released almost a year ago, so there are quite a few post sp6 patches..

More than anything, it looks like your server is pegged on utilization. Could be due to memory loss. Have you seen the TID that talks about Memory optimization? Specifically forcing edir to use a fixed amount instead of growing dynamically? That one can be huge.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Marv is right about the post patchs, but you still did not say what services the server is running. Iprint? Groupwise? Backup software that may be using btrieve? Also when you go to sp6 download the latest one from suppot.novell.com it could save you some problems. Do one first so you can get the hang of the issues you may run into. The last one I did Jave was broke ans so was Imanager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back