Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware Send Message

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2005
US
We're running client 4.91 and we have about 250 laptops that belong to our students. We just put the Novell client on, mostly to track printing. I'm wondering how to turn off/disable the Send Message feature, so that it can't be renabled. The students are admins of their own laptops.

I'm aware that it can be turned off in the Advanced Menu Settings in the Client Properties. However, some of the kids may figure out how to turn it back on.

We do have Zenworks, but at this time, we are not putting the Zen client on their laptops. The network side has been farmed out, so the consultant is not doing it at this time. If we do put the client, it brings down the walls on the student, which while not bad, is an issue. Policy may need to be rewritten on this ...

Dangermouse68,

I also have several mobile labs in the district I work in and we were not putting policies on the laptops for the longest time because we were using reg entries to lock machines down rather then zen policies so we didn't lock our laptops down because if you disconnected them from the network they would remain locked down until someone with higher rights logged in and "unlocked" the machine. However, last year we switched to windows group policy through zenworks and now we run those on everything because if you disconnect from the network the policy goes away and the machine is just wide open. That was really the only way that we got the machines secured so our students couldn't mess with them. My service calls about dropped off for the mobile labs because of the change. I know that doesn't really answer your question but that's the feedback I have for you. :)

If you have any ?? or want some more detail on policies let me know..

Andy
asmith1@tumwater.k12.wa.us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back