Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware Security not happening

Status
Not open for further replies.

kida

Technical User
Mar 14, 2003
CA
The restrictions placed in netware doesn't seem to be active. Users are restricted by groups. they are NOT part of the supervisor group. I've reviewed all the groups that the standard users are part of and the groups do not show supervisor rights yet, users seem to have supervisor access to files and directories.
I created a new user with very basic access and that new user also has super rights to files and directories.

Netware 6.5
client 4.91 sp4
zenworks 6.5.2

Zenworks policies seem to be running since restrictions placed in there are active (i.e. limiting visible drives, etc)

If an application object is limited by groups, that works.

login script is running error free

The problem only seems to reside in the access to the files and directories!?
Any ideas?

Have you checked for rights assigned (granted) at a high level - like at the volume level??? They would propagate down and would thus ignore other restrictions at the group level.

Run dsecure and see if it give you any clues were the excessive rights are at.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple[/color red] Novell Platinum Partner Microsoft Gold Partner
VMWare Enterprise Partner Citrix Gold Partner

I have confirmed the rights at the higher levels.
I created a user not using the template and it still gets too much rights.
I've reviewed all groups/apps/profiles to see if the rights are somehow being granted that way.
Tomorrow I will run dsecure and see if I can find anything there.

Profiles are working. Zenworks for workstation setup is working. Login script is working.

Since I don't have a definate date on when exactly this started happening, I can only assume. The only changes made to the system were installing the new version of McAfee and AutoCAD. Don't see how this could have caused this change but I've heard of stranger things.

Thanks for the suggestions.. any more ideas would be very much appreciated.

Unfortunately the client does not want me to run a freeware or shareware application on their network.

Any other ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back