Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware Pools 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbsnole

MIS
Jun 25, 2002
US
Is there a correct way of adding volumes to Pools? If I create 2 partitions on a hard drive, I would add them to the same pool. If another hard drive only has one partition, that would get it's own pool because it is on a different hard drive.

Does this make any sense??? Is this the correct way of doing it?

When you say hard drive do you mean a virtual disk created in a RAID or are you talking physical disks? If you are talking RAID, why not make one big virtual disk and then one big pool (not including sys)? If you are talking seperate disks without any sort of redundancy I wouldn't even think of stretching a pool, volume, or otherwise across them. If you lost one of your drives that stands alone, you would probably loose the whole pool. I could be wrong on that one, but in my liitle mind that is what makes sense to me. Just like when you span volumes across non-redundant drives, if one drops you loose the whole volume.

Hey dbsnole,

I'm familiar with your situation already as you know:)

Create a separate pool for every hard drive since your not running any kind of redundancy.

ChrisP If someone resolves an issue for you, or was helpful, please click the link on the bottom left hand corner of their post to give them a "star" letting them know they helped you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back