Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware Copy & File corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

cricket

Technical User
Jul 5, 2000
IE
I have used Netware Copy for a long time to daily backup files from one Server Volume to another on the same server, without any consideration whether files are in use or not.

One of the files backed up is an Access 2002 database of approx 90MB. Some records have recently become corrupted coinciding approximately with the backup time.

Is it appropriate to use Netware Copy on open files?
Can Netware Copy be automated?

The workstation is using Novell Client 4.90 SP2 with Win Xp Sp2

what backup software do you use

do you only use a copy ?
basically the files shouldnt be open when you copy but it will not corrupt them
the copy can be automated but i cant see the point copy to a different volume - thats not a backup

The backup to another volume allows a copy to be made to a laptop from the backup volume.

It could be you are going from a compressed volume to a non-compressed volume or vice-versa. I had a similar issue

Tamra Graver --CNA, Network+
It is my job to comfort the disturbed
and disturb the comfortable..........

The question really is: does the MS Access file remain open for other users to update duing Netware Copy and will the other users' updates cause corruption?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back