Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware 6 upgrade woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMFANZ

IS-IT--Management
Feb 21, 2003
GB
I ran upgrade (booted from CD) from Netware 5.1 (latest service packs) to Netware 6, but during install I got the message:

File "SYS:\SYSTEM\CONLOG.NLM" cannot be opened. Error: error code 144 (90 hex). (nwconfig-6-235) Press to continue.

Thereafter, though some files copied, the majority didn't and The upgrade
seemed to just end prematurely. I now have a server which boots up to what look like Netware 6, but it isn't right. The prompt had a <1> after the server name and many bits and pieces don't and won't load.

I re-ran the upgrade and so it has overwritten the backups of the dos partition. I need to resurrect this server extremely urgently.

To make things worse I have no good backup of NDS because of an issue with the backup software (though I have file backups of volumes etc.) so I don't believe I can wipe and re-install - our config includes Zenworks for Desktop's, DHCP etc.

I have downloaded a new cd image of nw6 with sp2 included from novell burned to cd and tried that with the same results.

Dell Poweredge 4400 server SP2 is supposed to support all devices on the server and we have no extra self installed devices, all drivers are upto date.

Starting again not really an option that I want to contemplate yet, I would rather fix the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

&quot;where's the any key ????????????????????????&quot;

Hi DMFANZ,

The link below will take you to a NetWare 5.1 with SP3 overlay. Download it and try to restore your server back to NW 5.1. At this point I don't think it matters that it is only SP3.

In the future, never never never never never never never never never never never never do an In-Place upgrade if you do not have a backout plan.

Lou

Thanks for the advice

The backout plan was using the restored data that included NDS (this was scuppered before we started).

The overlay cd image will overwrite the existing system as it would only upgrade from 4.11, we are currently setting up an identical server from backups and will then attempt it import from the crippled server.

Failling this we will start from scratch move to NW6 and take it from there.

Thanks for the responce.

In the future, never never never never never never never never never never never never do an In-Place upgrade if you do not have to or don't fix what isn't broken

The little <1> means the server is abending.

If you have ever run a DSrepair, you then have a backup of DS on hte SYS volume, you'll just need the help of NTS or a local partner to restore it.

Looks like the plan you have there will work, have the crippled server sitting htere humming, build a new server, insert into the tree, use the consoladation utility to copy data, the remove the old server.

What was your DS version anyway? There is a safe path and there is an oh crap path .. sounds like you went down the later. Involve a partner in your upgrade, they can do the planning and you can do the work if you choose. Also, for a small fee, you can sit in a Novell training class, then pound the Novell trainer with your problem and he/she will give you the answer you need for an upgrade path to follow. Brent Schmidt CNE,Network + [atom]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple [rofl]

Thanks for the response,

There is more than 1 of use here, and we have been racking our brains constantley.

This was our original problem:

File &quot;SYS:\SYSTEM\CONLOG.NLM&quot; cannot be opened. Error: error code 144 (90 hex). (nwconfig-6-235) Press to continue.

We have been down many roads to dead ends, but today we have solved the problem.

This error code appears when Certain files on the sys volume have insufficiant access rights assigned to them. We have downloaded a third party tool to change rights to files on the sys volume on the server. (we couldn't access them any other way).

We thought all access rights were set correctly but this does not seem to have been the case.

Changing these and then re-running the upgrade worked without any real probs.

Don't know whether to feel elated or foolish

P.S. Thanks for the input and replys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back