Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware 6 installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmbdel

MIS
Mar 14, 2003
US
Hi

I want to install netware 6 on my laptop already having 3 partitions. Primary OS is Windows 2000 Professional and other two partitions are NTFS partitions. The primary partition is a FAT32 partition.

How can I install NW 6 without effecting n e of the partitions. Please advise.

Thanx

For the sake of safety, I'd recommend that you get a copy of Virtual PC and run NetWare within its own virtual machine
------------
Bill
Consultant / Network Engineer
CNE, CCNA

If you want to install NetWare natively (i.e. not in a virtual session), then you will need to have at least one DOS partition (not Wind98 DOS, or Win2000 DOS but real DOS) for booting, and blank space for your NetWare partition. You can not use NTFS partitions for NetWare volumes.

If you don't wnat to lose your existing partitions then you will need to go the virtual route. As mentioned in previous post, Virtual PC (by Connectix, now owned by Microsoft) provides NetWare support. However I would recommend VMware as it performs much better even though it does not officially support NetWare.

The other reason that a virtual session may work better is because there may not be drivers available for the NIC in your laptop. Both Virtual PC and VMware virtualize the NIC so that NetWare easily recognizes it.

gwexpertslogo.jpg

Gioffre Consulting

Thanks for all your help. I have around 2 GB of unused space I have read that I need miniumum of 200 MB DOS partition for netware installation. I want to know whether I'll have to make that partition active and if I make the DOS partition active then how I'll be able to boot my windows after netware installation.

Thnax again for ur response.
Nisha

Hello everyone

I'm trying to install netware in virtual pc. but it can simply not detect my scsi controller and drive.

I have 29160N controller and I have downloaded the driver from adaptec site and when loading, it simply comes back with an error and can not continue. Any idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back