Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware 6.5 - NDPS Printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

n189970

Technical User
Aug 10, 2004
GR
Hello to everyone,

Recently I switch from queue-NDS to NDPS printing to free up licenses.
I have three external hp print servers, and two jet-direct internals.
From on day to another, I face often problems from print agents like 'not bound, I/O error' with no obvious reason.
I have to delete the ndps printer and create it again to continue working.

Also the broker consume a license. Is that proper?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Bill

Wow, Bill.. The first thing you need to do is stop deleting them when you have problems. That's a Microsoft troubleshooting manuever that is not necessary with Novell. From the NDPS Manager on the server, you can start or stop them whenever you want. You shouldn't have to do more than that.

Go to HP.COM and find the "HP DOWNLOAD MANAGER". run it on your workstation and update all the firmware on your printers. Especially with older printers, it's important to be running their newest code if possible.

Are you using the Novell gateway? If the firmware doesn't fix it, then you may want to try the HP gateway for a problematic printer.. I have seen the HP gateway work in a few cases where the Novell gateway gave me fits.

If that doesn't work, check this TID... LPR Names for NDPS printers using the Novell Gateway - TID10080373

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

How are the ip's configured on the jetdirect cards and external print servers? I had a similar problem when my jetdirect was set to bootp or dhcp. After the ip lease expired my ip printing would stop working. I had to make sure that when we set them up they had static ips, not sure if this is the case but I would double check ip assignment first. Not sure if broker uses up license or not, sounds normal though.

NDPS accesses NDS/E-directory different then queue based if your firmware is not up to date you will get I/O errors on your printers. update firware as suggested above. I believe the reason he deletes them is because you can not access the printer when this happens and rebooting doesnt help it will tottaly render the jetdirect card unusable.

I have update print servers-firmware 4 days ago, and for the moment everything works fine.
I still searhing why broker consume a license.

Thanks for your help

Hi Everyone,
I've a problem with HP Photosmart 2610N that I try to use with NDPS (nw6.5).
I get this error message : LPR connection failed.
I ran the HP download manager with the latest firmware updates and it says that the firmware is N/A and that it is not upgradable.
This printer works perfectly when using direct IPport.
Please Help.
Thx

sorry,
I wrote this message thinking I was creating a new post.
Please don't blame me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back