Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware 6.5, IPX and SLP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pauzotah

Technical User
Jun 17, 2006
GB
Upgraded a 4.11 server to 6.5. IPX is still running and because it was an upgrade is running under 6.5. I have configured SLP which it reports to be working.

We have a distant site connecting to our site using IP as the laser wont use IPX. 9 times out of 10 the client reports 'can not find tree or server' when the tree does display in the 'Advanced' button under Tree. If i login locally (Workstation Only) i can ping the server, sometimes if i reboot it will logon fine but most of the time not.

Is there an issue with running IPX and IP ? Is there an easy way to get round this problem ?

There's not an issue with running IPX and SLP together. The problem is most likely that the workstation at the remote site is not properly receiving any SLP information. This is actually quite normal.

The way to get around this is to give the SLP DA's IP address and Scope to the workstation.. This can be done with DHCP or it can be done manually on the Novell client. Easiest quick fix is at the client manually -- client properties --> Service Location tab. Enter the info in there.

In the long term, using DHCP is better.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Thanks for this, i am in the process of 'tweaking' the Novell Client Group Policy as we speak to be made aware of the DA.

Is there any issue with Netware 6.5 where a workstation tries to connect more than once therefore the 2nd or 3rd connection being refused ? I know i can set a user to unlimited connections but havent seen the same for WS's. I understand that you would never have a WS with the same computer name as the next as this would cause a problem with DHCP, etc but say for arguments sake the WS crashed and was rebooted therefore creating another connection when it was restarted ? I have found that WS's are shut down, they take a good 2 or 3 minutes if not more to disappear from the Server's connection console.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back