Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware 6.5 DNS Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 17, 2003
US
I am testing a setup of my netware 6.5 server with DNS running as a cache only server. I am trying to reduce the amount of DNS traffic going through our network and we have 9 subnets so I wanted to put on at each location with a main dns server at our main office and restrict dns outbound from the firewall for this server and the remote servers all talk to this one for their dns needs. My question is that I have setup two machines, 1 remotely and 1 at the main office and they are cache only but how can I see that they are caching the sites that are being requested? I have gone into the management console but I don't see any sites that are stored and I know that they are passing out dns because I have swapped about 30 machines to the new servers. Am I missing something or making this to complicated???

That's one of those things that I've never really looked into but always wanted to. So your question intrigued me to do some research on this myself.

The easy answer is YES, it does cache it. But the tough part is that I'm not sure where or how to find the cached entries. There are commands to purge the cache but not specifically view it.

Take a look at this link, it's very comprehensive. See what you can come up with.

(go to the "Command line options" link on the left)

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Thanks for the reply Marvin, I will check the link out and give an update. We had some slow time here so we just started setting the DNS servers up on some of our secondary NW65 servers to test it. Right now we have 4 up and running and we are doing it without telling our users and I want to see if there are any complaints or strange problems. Eventually if it runs smoothly I want to kill dns through the firewall except for the servers themselves. One issue that has come up is users setting up their own dns with anonymous proxy to block our content filter so hopefully this will help reduce those kinds of problems.

Update. Ok, not that I'm anything near proficient understanding this stuff I have attempted a dns setup. Everything seems to work ok and I have a main dns server that is up and running with 5 remote sites forwarding to it while it's the only one referencing outside dns. What I don't have a good grasp on is the whole zones setup and when starting my primary it starts successfully. When starting the other dns servers I get

"error:NWDSRead Failed while reading a multivalued attribute: -603"

Can't find much on the above error and was wondering if anyone had seen this before. Note: even though I get an error the servers still work fine. It just seems that I didn't setup something right in NDS.

I believe that's a problem with the servers not having a replica that contains the DNS objects. I'm assuming you have various containers for your remote locations and it would not be ideal to have replicas on all of your servers.

The way to work around this is to create a subcontainer specifically for DNS/DHCP.. Then create your objects in that container. Partition the container and add a replica to all of your DNS servers.

If you need to move the objects, you need to export them, delete them, then reimport them and point to that container.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back