Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware 6.5, Cluster Services and Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonMag

Technical User
Mar 20, 2001
GB
I am in the process of evaluating Netware 6.5 for the purpose of upgrading from Netware 5.1. I am also looking ad iSCSI and Cluster Services, for the clustering of services like GroupWise, iFolder, Apache, Tomcat, DNS/DHCP, printing etc.

I would like to hear from anyone else who may be embarking on a similar project, on their views on the above.

Thanks

Simon

I am also evaluating and have determined that clustering may not work unless you have at least three servers. If you have a two node cluster, and the master node fails, Novell may cast off the slave mode instead of the master node. (See TID 10057437).

i'm currently using a 2 node (6 though)
through fibre though not iscsi - and it's superb
no probs - dont know how i lived without it

That problem with the slave node abending is solved by a LAN driver upgrade. 3 servers wouldn't help in this situation, theoretically the third server would be classified as a slave node and it would be cast off as well. There can only be one master and the rest are slaves.

Well, you asked! ;)
We're currently running a 3-node 5.1 Sp5 cluster at our main site with a fibre channel array. Generally it's been great. Only issues have been hardware/driver related.. mfr stuff, not Netware. All in all, it's been amazing. I have a 6.5 server in our test tree and so far it's been great too. 38 days of rock solid performance so far. iPrint and iFolder/Netstorage are a wonderful alternative (in my case) to a VPN. No VPN client, no support call issues.. just your files whereever you are. I've been the beta tester and I'm loving it. (yes, i've done VPN's with our Checkpoint FW's.. I like iFolder better!) In our case it's a great fit. I'm already running our Groupwise Webaccess on Apache/Netware.. only now it will be supported! ;) We're pricing out a larger SAN, IBM (FastT) or EMC (Clariion) probably. 2GB fiber with meshed switches & 2 HBA's per host. Thanks to Novell's new licensing where servers and 2-node clusters are *free*, Groupwise is getting its own 2-node cluster, F&P + webservices is on the 3 node. We also have been able to cut our user lic count down by a *lot* due to the new lic model: 1 lic per user, with unlimited resource connections. Much more sane, much easier to audit.. and less $ to upgrade/purchase. Good move guys!!
Only beef with 6.5 so far is that while NMAS is included it does not look like the enterprise edition. This got merged into BorderManager 3.8. My issue is that I *really* wanted RADIUS to be included so I could use NDS users/pw to authenticate to my routers and switches (and even firewalls). A little bummed out there, although 1 support engineer I spoke with seemed to think it was there and I just haven't found it yet.. Hmm. I'll keep looking!
6.5 uses major RAM; my NLM's on a *basic* server are over 350MB.. so don't be stingy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back