Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware 5.x to Netware 6 migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

vetter96

Technical User
Jun 3, 2002
US
I'm attempting to migrate my Novell 5.x server to a Netware 6.0 server using the Novell Migration Wizard v6. When I choose the copy volums option I get the following citical error:

Error 'SMSConnOpen Xfffeffff - NWSMDR error: An invalid connection handle was passed to SMDR.' occurred attempting to open the connection to the SMDR from server 'SPRT_MAIL' to server '192.168.1.17'. See the Troubleshooting section in the user documentation for possible solutions to this error.

The netware 6.x server is running SP2 and the latest SMS patches and teh 5.x server is running SP6a w/ latest SMS patches. I have also tried the suggestins Novell gives in the Migration Wizard Toubleshooting document. Any ideas?

Do you have IPX on both servers? I believe it is needed for the migration wizard to work?

Also, are you running through a switch or hub? The old server, new server and the PC doing the migration should be on the same hub, not an Ethernet switch.

I've run into this one my self, purging and rebooting both source and destination worked for me.

This can also be related to low space on the SYS volume.

The migration wizard will work no matter what protocol you use, you just have to be using the same protocol on both the source and destiantion.

Switch or hub, doesn't make a difference. I use a Netgear 10/100 mini switch for migrations I run (did about 26 last year). You do get better performance when source, destination, and migration PC are on the same backplane. When you have more than one server in the enviroment, just having an uplink to the rest of the network is good enough for the DS calls being made. Brent Schmidt CNE,Network + [atom]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple [rofl]

I am getting the same error message migrating a 5.0 server to 6. I was wondering if purging and rebooting worked for you. If not what was your solution.

Appreciate the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back