Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware 5 slow btrieve transaction after nw50sp6a update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

joemamps

Technical User
Mar 17, 2015
PH
Hello All,

Need your help please.. I'am trying to consolidate our netware servers to netware 5.0.

After installing the OS and did some testing on DOS and windows application everything works perfectly.

But after I installed the support pack NW50SP6a windows applications experience very slow btrieve transaction.

I already did a lot of workaround found in some forums but nothing seems to work. So i decided to give it a shot here

Hope someone from this group could help me..

This may be a little late to answer, but if it helps, I would look at the cache you have configured for btrieve. Best practice for btrieve on NetWare is to look at the size of the DB file that most of your users are using, and edit the cache reservation in btrieve to allow that entire DB file to run from cache. Greatly speeds up btrieve transactions.

When I would address these issues, the reason it would work great at the start, then bog down after running for a while is because of the cache setting. It is fine when you start, but then your main DB grows and things slow down. You will just need to grow your cache.

If the DB is over 2Gb though, there won't be much room to grow the cache. NetWare can only address 4GB since it is only a 32bit OS. You might be able to push the cache to 3GB, but if you take too much away from the OS, it will run like crap.

Brent Schmidt Keep IT Simple[/color red]
Se±or Network Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back