Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware 5 measurement, utilization reporting, network management

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgeyer

Technical User
Nov 11, 2000
US
Does anyone know where, online, I can find a good description of the data Netware 5
can capture to create a measurement database? The initial purpose is to determine
utilization of a college library's accesses from inside and outside the local library LAN environment to (a) LAN mounted databases copied from CD-ROM to disk, running on an NT 4 file server beneath the main Novell 5 server, (b) traffic out of the library LAN (Netware 5) server to the internet (c) traffic through the library out to university level gated, licensed full text databases, coming through the main Netware 5 server. I have a handle on the NT measurement data, but do not know if there is an online source of info about what Novel 5 measurement variables can be captured.

Also, relevant and inexpensive monitors or other tools that would be applicable to both the initial phase and inevitable later expansion? Initially benchmarking, reporting of growth by month, quarter, year, peak periods. Later bottleneck identification, planning targeted hardware upgrades. Colleges (and college libraries) may be behind the business world in these areas, so pointers from anyone with experience in network measurement and its uses, on the Netware 5 and NT server platforms, much wanted.

The only solution that I can provide you with is to use Managewise, with the Management Agent. This can give you Disk Read/Write access, CPU utilization, NIC utilization, etc, and can also give trending analysis, as well as provide a way for you to proactively monitor the server in case any problems were to arise. you can also install the Management Agent for NT as well although I am not sure that the agent for NT will give you as much information as the Novell agent will.

HTH

Mark C. Greenwood, CNE
m_jgreenwood@yahoo.com

CNE 4.11 and CNE 5 certified. BS Degree in MIS. Working in the industry for 8 years.

I work with NT servers, NDS for NT as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back