Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware 5 and appletalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmackowski

IS-IT--Management
Jun 23, 2000
US
I need to have a temporary solution for 200 macintosh users that are converting to pc's. Needing a server to be able to talk to both. I have a netware 5 server and I know you can run the appletalk.nlm on a netware 5 box but I have been unable to do so. If anyone out ther can help it would be appreciated.
Thanks,
-Chris

If you check with Novell Site....Nw5 or higher does not support the Mac unless you go to a third party now which novell will referr you to to purchase the Mac software to work with Netware. The cheapest way to do it would be to build another server, a clone box and if you have Nw4.Xsoftware you could use it as a go between to your Netware 5 server. The services to connect would be through the Nw4.X server.

Vaughn

Hello,
I had the same dilema with 200 macs in our school district. What works pretty well is the mac client which came with NW4. It can be installed directly from a NW4 CD. Also, there was a novell update to it just before they abandoned mac. What must be remembered is, you still need appletalk to print. Not on the server, but on the workstations. All you need on the server is mac name spaces.

If you e-mail me, I can send you a complete installation instruction for the workstation set up.

my address is kbenware@mail.ircsd.org

I can also provide you with the installer and the update.

We also have many Mac clients. We are using the Prosoft Client running on the Macs. We experienced a documented bug (locking up and losing the network connection when in MS Office application). We found that going back to the Prosoft client 5.12 has given us relief from this bug.
Novell is working on a "native Mac NLM" solution which was supposed to be in beta in November. (I haven't seen it yet). This allows for pure TCP/IP connection to the Netware 5.x servers. Printing could go to either a TCP/IP printer or a Netware print queue.
(You could still use appletalk printing if you want to but you need a seed router for Appletalk Zones) You can do this with a Netware 4.x server or an Apple Server.
Dan
Assistant Dirctor of IS
Asbury College

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back