Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware 5.1 contextless login 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveBrown

Technical User
Jul 31, 2001
GB
Hi All,
We are currently running netware 5.1 with SP7 / SP8. We have 2 NDS trees on the network (purely historical reasons)and we are looking at setting up DSCAT Contextless Login.
We have set up the Netware Client to test it in each tree with just the Tree name entered. What we are wondering is , is there a way of setting up DSCAT Contextless Login so we don't have to specify the Tree name and DSCAT will search all trees to locate the account name etc

Thanks in Advance

Dave

I would avoid DSCAT completely. Instead, what you can do is configure eDir 8.7.3.x on NW 5.1, then use LDAP contextless login. Its much better, and the contextless piece is part of the Novell client.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting, Inc.
A Novell Platinum Partner

Thanks Marvin,
We are currently running NDS 8.0.9 with DS.nlm vers 8.85c
What would be involved?

Thanks in Advance

Dave

Here's how you do it avoiding DSCAT, but I'm not sure you're up to date enough with edirectory to be able to run it.

Check your version here and post if you are up to date enough. Then I can give you a reg file for the clients so you can enter your workstation parameters and roll them out via login script or manually if you have to.

Thanks,
We are running NDS 8 DS.nlm ver 8.85c and Netware client 4.91 SP3. Looks like we may have to upgrade to e-Directory 8.7.1 to use LDAP Contextless Login

Dave

I would definitely do that (upgrade). Don't know if it's still a "free upgrade" as it was in the past. Get up to the highest version you can run - free or otherwise. I'll dig up that contextless login REG file that I used for my last Novell job and post it's contents here when I get my hands on it. So check back.

You have to configure it on the Edirectory side first and then configure the clients - works GREAT. I had lots of people visiting from other locations (Novell contexts too) and they just put in their user name and didn't have to know their context. Saved lots of headaches for me and them.

Upgrading to edir 8.7.x on NW5.1 is free and easy. Although it does make a significant change to your NDS files, it brings you into this century with your infrastructure. Then you can build on it and upgrades and migrations (including other services) are no problem.

The reason for upgrading is so you can have LDAP. I don't believe that earlier versions of NDS had LDAP integrated in them, but I'm not 100% sure. I don't recall the exact version where it became an integral part of NDS.

When you upgrade to edir 8.7.x, you start the install script on the server, it does some things, it reboots your server, it does some more things, it launches the gui and then installs numerous objects into your tree, including the LDAP objects that are used to manage ldap.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting, Inc.
A Novell Platinum Partner

Make sure you do a full NDS health check before the upgrade and that all servers are communicating with each other in DSREPAIR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back