Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware 4 to NT4 migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

dd6

MIS
Oct 16, 2001
GB
Planning on doing a Netware to Nt migration, we currently have 12 netware servers spread acroos 3 sites, we need to move data and users off them incrementally, the users will go into an existing Nt4 domain and the data onto a SAN. Interested if anyone knows of good tools/tips for migrating large (up to 30GB) amounts of data in the shortest period of time (each move needs to be done over 1 weekend). A straight file copy over the WAN could probably be done - but are there any tools that could do this quicker and more effectively?
Alternatively has anyone used items such as backup devices/SNAP! servers to do this sort of thing.

A little hint, Novell supports long file names, and in NT file name up to the limit of 256, so when you transfer this may hinder your migration.

Just a thought

Well, it's difficult to transform a network over the night. Usually such a project is longer, and there is a transition phase. If you want to do it in a single step then you really assumed a very high risk.
My adice: take it gradually. Make a plan. A plan about how users wll be migrated, how resources will be migrated, how the rights will be prserved, how the scripts will be converted. It's not easy. Usually in transition phase the two NOS will coexist. So also your data should be splitted and migrated gradually (should be possible).
And, instead to migrate to NT I reccomand you Win2K. You will really miss the NDS from Novell, and the administration tools. For me, is a step backward that you want to do. Instead to have a real directory, you wil have nothing. But, I can understand, maybe was not your decission.
A tool that will migrate very quick, I don't know to exist. As I said, the principle that you must follow is "les risk".

Anyway, success! Gia Betiu
m.betiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back