Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware 4.11 - Slow XP Login Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

msdonb

IS-IT--Management
Dec 20, 2007
I just started work in the IT dept and the company is running a netware 4.11 server. Our XP boxes seem to "hang" on the NWSCRIPT.EXE after it shows the context and says "You are connected to server BLAH". It hangs there before running the login script. We are using the Microsoft CSNW Client. It seems to be only the XP machines that are having problems. The network infrastructure is a mess... switches/routers all over the place with "Security" and "Fault" lights flashing. I could understand these issues affecting bandwidth, but would it have such a dramatic effect on the login process? I have read the articles on "tree walking" and it appears this is not the case. I noticed the topic - and it sounds like this issue never DID get resolved. Would appreciate any suggestions or if anyone else is having similar issues.

Thanks.

I'm not a big fan of using CSNW, I think you would find the login time much better if you used the full novell netware client which can be downloaded from the novell site.

Paul
MCSE

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
Albert Einstein

And if you do go for the full NetWare Client (which is a good call btw), ensure you install it with IPX enabled as the default is for IP only which will not work with Netware 4.x

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

While I fully agree with Paul and TheLad that the Novell client is vastly preferable, you might want to first of all see if the login script is doing anything significant, and if not then just set CSNW not to run the script.

Drive mappings can just be done in Windows, as can environment variables. However if there are any captures necessary for legacy apps to access server connected printers you may still need those.

Jock

CSNW was 'developed' by Microsoft by reverse engineering the Novell client and taking out all useful features. It was designed to work poorly, and isn't a Novell supported option. If you use it, you are usually on your own, because Microsoft won't help you much either. Best thing, like others have mentioned, is to install the real Novell client. If you're an admin, you'll need the Novell client anyway to manage NDS. You can't manage NDS with the MS version.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Thanks for the help. I believe our issues are somewhat resolved. The Novell client is making things run a bit smoother, however, the client application itself seems to be taking a little longer than I'd hoped. :) Merry Christmas to all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back