Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netware 3.12 NIC problem on PIII-500

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnck

Technical User
May 19, 2003
US
Recently upgraded my server from a 486 to Intel PIII 500; installed all the patches and able to use the IDEATA drivers and mount volumes on a large HD. (Updated all 312PTD patches) Tried to keep the NE2000 ISA LAN card the same. When I installed it on the PIII, NE2000 card would not initialize.
When I tried to Load NE2000 port= X interrupt = Y
(similar port and interrupt values to my prev. installation on 486), board would not initialize.
Server gives me message listing various memory address supported values such as D0000, EE0000, D80000...

What am I doing wrong?

Does the 16 bit NE2000 LAN card need a different driver or different memory address? Or do I need a different PCI NIC card?

Hi

I think it is a hardware clash for sure. Its time to update your NIC card, get yourself a nice fast PCI Intel card or similar. You want be sorry.

Regards

David

Hi, Mnck

You will have to update the BIOS in the PIII machine to free up the irq being used by the NE2000, which is not a plug and play so likely the system is already allocating the irq/dma elsewhere.

However I agree with David, given that NICs are so cheap now it would be easier just to replace it with an Intel Pro or other PCI card which has Novell 3 or 4 drivers available.

Jock

try getting a realtek 8139 or dlink 530tx+ nic - these are most likley to still have drivers for netware 3.12. easy install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back