Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt fails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2004
US
Is there a program somewhere that does the same thing as 'netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt'?

I have a customers computer where "netsh int ip reset
restlog.txt" fails with:
-----------
WARNING: could not obtain host information from machine: [AARONM]. Some commands may not be available.
--------------
Computer is named 'AARONM', in workgroup 'AARONHOME'.
Running Windows XP Pro, SP2

----------- more info ------------------------------
I originally started working on this because on startup, we are getting a 'DCOM Server Process Launcher service terminated unexpectedly' box and the computer then wants to shutdown. If I am fast enough typing in the password and the computer can actually get to a desktop, I can execute 'shutdown -a' in a DOS cmd box and the computer won't shutdown. I am also getting an 'RPC server service failed to start' message though the service seems to be running.

Sounds to me like a possible Virus, specially the shutting down part and the RPC service message.

Have you run Anti virus programs recently?

Does happen when in safe mode?

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

It had ALOT of viruses on it, I ran the Kaspersky online scanner yesterday and cleaned out all the infected files, then ran the installed Norton Antivirus 2005 today to verify I got everything. Yes - I believe this was caused I originally by a virus(es?) and now I am trying to fix anything they broke.
And yes, the computer does the 'DCOM Server process ..' thing in safe mode.

I would try tun run some additional scans. Just to make sure.

Maybe an online service like Housecall from Trend Micro?

You might need to restore the conifg.nt and autoexec.nt files from your Windows CD, if any of the viruses corrupted them, which would hinder certain things from the DOS prompt.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

I also have encountered the same problem regarding the DCOM error at startup. I have ran several virus scanners and yet I still encounter the same error. Do you have any other advice besides reinstalling windows?...which is my next option due to my lack of patients.

Try this Winsock fix, or Stack rebuild mentioned in this FAQ.

WinXP Connectivity Issues
Lost Connectivity after Registry or Malware Cleanup
faq779-4625

"Could not start the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service. Error 1058" error message when you manually start the Remote Procedure Call service

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back