Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

netsh cmds, can they harm pc? And malware program help

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelljack

Technical User
Dec 23, 2001
US
Hi all. I have the following:
If I do these commands (supposedly to double the speed of my internet)

start, run, cmd
netsh int tcp slow global
netsh int tcp set global chimney=enabled
netsh int tcp set global autotuning=normal
netsh int tcp set global congestionprovider=ctcp
netsh int tcp show global

How do I backup current netsh settings? Can these be reversed, and if so, how?
Will the above netsh cmds harm my pc with xp pro? It is a 586 speed pc with 512 MB memory. Old I know but trying to locate a new pc but haven't a clue which to buy.
I did a netsh winsock reset already but it didn't seem to do anything after rebooting.
Also, can anyone tell me if this site and file is okay to run for malware?

Any helps will be greatly appreciated.

I would use Malwarebytes, and Spybot, and then run Ccleaner, But your link takes me to Microsoft's safety site, it's OK, not the best, but not the worst. The first netsh command you have in your group is a global show of your settings, take a screen shot and print it out, or write it down. But I will say right now, if you only have 512MB of ram, these won't speed it up much. You are running out of memory, and your computer is bogging down with moving info back and forth on the swap space of the hard drive, slowing everything down. You would benefit more from using ccleaner and clearing out the temp files, and cache.

Thanks rclarke250 for your reply.

I manually clean out all temp files and use disk cleanup about every week, or if bogging down every 3rd day.

I downloaded and ran spybot, and not knowing if TeaTimer was part of spybots program, I let it download too. Now I'm trying to remove all of it. I removed through add/remove the spybot program but teatimer will not go away. So now I'm going to have to get some small Linux program that contains the rm command with recursively option. It has been a long time since I used Unix and some Linux programs so I'll have to get my books out to review the commands.

As far as the pc I know its history and am going tomorrow to look for another. I'd like to get one with 16GB memory if it doesn't cost me my life to buy. I'm concerned with the onboard video and audio cards. Every place I've called about the innards of their pcs for sale they don't know who are the makers of the cards. I'd like a good video with its own memory if I can find it. I just have to look. Have any suggestions?

By the way:

>netsh int tcp set global chimney=enabled

Only has an effect if a) your network card also supports offloading, and b) it is enabled on the card. And even then only under certain circumstances. Otherwise this does absolutely nothing.

>netsh int tcp set global autotuning=normal

This is the default.

Use something like speedtest.net to find out if it is really your actual internet connection which is slow or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back