Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NETServer/16 I-modem ISDN problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

surfiec1

IS-IT--Management
Nov 27, 2002
A2
I have just purchased a NETServer/16 I-modem. I am using the following firmware/software:

NETServer Plus 8/16 - Euro-ISDN only Version: 4.0.14
NETServer Manager Plus 8/16 - Euro-ISDN only Version: 1.1

which I downloaded from 3com's support pages.

I have followed the instructions on the NETServer Manager and documentation from the website.

I have 4 ISDN BRI lines which were each installed as two bare wires by the local telecom. I have connected these two bare wires to pins 4 and 5 on the RJ-45 cable that came with the unit.

According to the documentation, after connecting the ISDN lines and configuring the I-modems, the LED lights should change from yellow/amber to green and then go off indicating that the lines are ready to receive calls. Also, when the I-modems are issued the ATI12 command the Physical Interface and Data Layer should both be ACTIVE.

However, after following the instructions, the ATI12 command still shows both to be INACTIVE and the LED lights are still flashing yellow, eight per second.

I am obviously missing something here. Can anyone offer any assistance and point me in the right direction.

TIA,

Dr. David T. Thomas,
Kyrenia, North Cyprus.

You can sometimes see flashing green lights if you plug in the ISDN but no calls have been made.

You are right though, flashing amber is wrong. I assume your ISDN IS ETSI Euro ISDN??

From memory when I set ours up there wasn't a problem until I tried to upgrade to the V90 firmware - don't try it it takes forever to recover them.. they flash RED.

Best suggestion is check cables, check isdn then if still no joy try AT&F and then look at the AT* commands (I think) which select the line type.

Peter,

After finally getting the ISDN lines working, I decided to install the V90 upgrade, before reading your warning! Now all my modem LEDS are showing solid RED and I cannot communicate with the modems! How on earth did you get them back to V34?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back