Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netscreen 5XT and SNMP--agent won't talk to manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aroostook

IS-IT--Management
Jun 15, 2005
US
I have a Netscreen 5XT, hardware ver 3010, software ver 4.0.1r10.0, and I can't seem to get SNMP to work right. I get the following error:

"SNMP request from XX.XX.XX.XX:1387 to XX.XX.XX.YY:161 has been received, but the SNMP version type is incorrect."

To start (and this may actually fix my problem), what version is the 5XT expecting? I do not see a way of setting it in the configuration. Is it 1 or 2 (I somehow doubt it's 3--this is a pretty old netscreen).

As additional information, I'm using "the Dude" for gathering all my network info. I noticed that "the Dude" works great with a 5GT I have (SNMP v2), and worked right out of the box. So I'm not sure what the deal is with the 5XT... Also, I have SNMP only configured for the trust interface.

Thanks!

/posting in netscreen forum, as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back