Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netscape starting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 23, 2002
US
Netscape starts up when I reboot. The campus installed a firewall and some of my users could not access the server. The fix was to prevent routed from starting. Now I have to run S99route manually when rebooting. Where can I put S99route so it starts automatically? In addition I edited etc/default/tcp to add my gateway and change the broadcast address. The original broadcast was 192.168.1.255. I changed it to our campus ip xxx.xx.xxx.255. Has that change caused Netscape to start on bootup? If so can I go back to the original broadcast address w/o affecting my network?

Your help is sincerely appreciated.

The S99route script should reside in /etc/rc2.d.

I'm a bit confused about your Netscape comments. Are you saying Netscape starts, and you don't want it to? Or, are you saying it starts, but isn't accessible?

You may also want to look here:

/usr/internet/etc/sco_ip/routes

My S99route script is in /etc/rc2.d but is no longer read on startup since I disabled routed from starting.

Yes, Netscape starts up when I reboot and takes forever to finish loading the SCO home page so I can then close it. I don't want it starting up whenever I reboot.

I checked the file you listed - I don't have a sco_ip directory. I am running OpenServer 5.05.

Netscape starts up when I reboot
Even when nobody is logged ?
You may check your /etc/inittab file.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

After rebooting Netscape starts after I log is as root and the graphic desktop appears.
I looked at etc/inittab. Not sure what to look for except "Netscape". No reference to Netscape in the file.

Check all the .xxx files in the root directory.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Not sure what you want me to check for. All files with a 3 digit extension seem ok, .out, .sql. Read my original post that describes the changes made to get the system back on the campus subnet. No one has yet explained to me what the broadcast ip is and if the changes I made to it would have any effect.

No, all files starting with a dot (.*) in the / directory.

Hope This Helps, PH.

Seems as if I remember a question during configuration about 'starting the browser automatically' upon login. Can't say for sure where it was, but I guarantee it was a question that was asked. I can't get to my desktop right now or I'd dig around in some of the gui configuration routines (netscape, mail, network, etc). But, that's where I'd look first.

Maybe this will help somewhat.

J Piper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back