Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netscape problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doroth

Technical User
Feb 26, 2002
US
Hello. I just finished a web site for a charity haunted house, but one of the members of the our organization is having problems with the appearance of the site. I believe this may be a Netscape issue. I only have IE on my computer, and don't know how to fix the issue. I am fairly inexperienced with designing for Netscape. The pages are suppose to appear on one page so scrolling is not necessary. Any suggestions for html? The website is:

Thanks in advance.

Also, is there a way to make sure the page maximizes the screen, when the page is a smaller box than fully maximized, the graphics don't show up.

There is nothing in your site that should cause a problem with any browser. However, your image names have a space in them and some browsers don't know what to do with it. Rename your images so there's no space in the name and you should be OK on all fronts.

As far as maximizing the browser window, you can use javascript to do that. Check the javascript forum for this.

There's always a better way. The fun is trying to find it!

In the table cell that the image sits, specify valign="top" in the <td> tag to keep the image at the top of the screen.

Really, there are several problems with the design of the site:

First, it is written exclusively for a screen resolution of 1024x768. Most older computers run 800x600, and most new computers especially ones with lcd panels run 1280x1024. Maybe just 40% of the world will see the web page as you intended. This needs to be taken into account, it's a pain for everyone to work around, but that's just the way it has to be.

Second, you need to learn more about basic html in order to understand what happens - especially when screen sizes are different. Like where does the image go when the browser window has its width reduced? Why does the image drop down on the page? There's no other way to put this except that issues like these are fundamental basics of the html language that you absolutely must know if you want to design web pages.

And there are other problems, though you really need to first grasp the understanding of the html language before any of the other issues can be addressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back