Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

netscape problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cic

Technical User
Apr 12, 2001
US
I created a file without the html extension and it pulled up fine in IE, however netscape would not pull it up. It keeps bringing up a screen stating, "you have chosen to download a file type: application/octet-stream..."

I really need to figure out a way to make the file come up w/out the extension because we have already done a mass mailing. I didn't think to even test it in netscape because there are many sites out there who do not include the html extension. How do they make it work?

Thanks

Well, if you send someone to a URL like " (where you basically forgot to add ".html" to "page"), then you would have to treat "page" as a directory instead of a file. So, make a directory called "Page", and then rename the file you want your mass-mailing recipients to see. Call it "default.html" or whatever the default html doc name is for your server and stick it in the "page" directory. Now when you go to the browser will load the default template in the page directory and you should be all set! John Hoarty
jhoarty@quickestore.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back