Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netscape & IE4 tables - problems with formatting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mavrix

Technical User
Apr 12, 2000
GB
Hi,<br><br>Could anyone suggest why the following code works fine in Internet Explorer, but looks nothing like the desired results in Netscape?<br><br>If possible, is there a resource on the web to explain why Netscape does this, or suggest how I could make changes to the table so it looks the same in Netscape?<br><br><br>Thanks in advance,<br><br>M.<br><br><br><br>---------------------------------------<br>&lt;html&gt;<br>&lt;head&gt;<br>&lt;title&gt;Title&lt;/title&gt;<br>&lt;meta http-equiv=&quot;Content-Type&quot; content=&quot;text/html; charset=iso-8859-1&quot;&gt;<br>&lt;/head&gt;<br><br>&lt;body topmargin=&quot;0&quot; leftmargin=&quot;0&quot; marginheight=&quot;0&quot; marginwidth=&quot;0&quot; bgcolor=&quot;#FFFFFF&quot;&gt;<br>&lt;table border=&quot;1&quot; cellspacing=&quot;0&quot; cellpadding=&quot;0&quot; width=&quot;100%&quot; height=&quot;100%&quot;&gt;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;tr&gt;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;td height=&quot;64&quot;&gt;Q&lt;/td&gt;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;td height=&quot;64&quot; width=&quot;16&quot;&gt;Q&lt;/td&gt;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;/tr&gt;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;tr&gt;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;td height=&quot;16&quot;&gt;Q&lt;/td&gt;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;td height=&quot;16&quot; width=&quot;16&quot;&gt;Q&lt;/td&gt;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;/tr&gt;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;tr&gt;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;td&gt;Q&lt;/td&gt;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;td width=&quot;16&quot;&gt;Q&lt;/td&gt;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;/tr&gt;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;tr&gt;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;td height=&quot;16&quot;&gt;Q&lt;/td&gt;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;td height=&quot;16&quot; width=&quot;16&quot;&gt;Q&lt;/td&gt;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;/tr&gt;<br>&lt;/table&gt;<br>&lt;/body&gt;<br>&lt;/html&gt;<br>---------------------------------------

one thing is for sure: netscape doesn't handle % !<br><br>&lt;table border=&quot;1&quot; cellspacing=&quot;0&quot; cellpadding=&quot;0&quot; width=&quot;100%&quot; height=&quot;100%&quot;&gt;<br><br>this won't work in netscape...<br><br>and &lt;td height=&quot;64&quot;&gt;Q&lt;/td&gt; height in the &lt;td&gt; is not a smart thing to do either...<br><br>use a transparent gif of size 1x1 px and stretch it the size you want! like this:<br><br>&lt;td&gt;&lt;img src=&quot;spacer.gif&quot; width=&quot;1&quot; height=&quot;64&quot;&gt;Q&lt;/td&gt;<br><br>u c?<br><br>

I dont want to start the browser war all over again, but does netscape have any sizing for tables at all? <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

If you create two different tables, one for IE, and one for netscape, then combine the two using javascript, you could get the same results.<br><br>when ever you place a tag that needs a different size for each browser, just insert a javascript if-then-else statement. <br><br>It can get verry legnthy, but its worth it if you have the time. <p>theEclipse<br><a href=mailto:eclipse_web@hotmail.com>eclipse_web@hotmail.com</a><br><a href=robacarp.webjump.com>robacarp.webjump.com</a><br>**-Trying to build a documentation of a Javascript DOM, crossbrowser, of course. E-mail me if you know of any little known events and/or methods, etc.

well if it were for Active Server Pages, just have a serverside javascript(or vbscript, since server-side remains compatible) to import the size sniplets rather than writing two seperate tables. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

Dear Karl,<br><br>You asked:<br>&gt;but does netscape have any sizing for tables at all? <br><br>I think I remember reading a great article where that was discussed in the last few issues of Web Techniques. If you look around their web site you might be able to find it. I'm sorry I don't have a direct URL for the article.<br><br>Good luck<br>-pete

NS does have sizing for tables, but its absolute, not relative. <p>JMJimmy<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br><br>
Know (ish) VB, Java, Javascript, HTML, DHTML, VBScript, Qbasic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back