Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netscape 9 planned

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyJeffy

Programmer
Sep 10, 2003
GB
I stumbled across this announcement this morning:

Netscape Announces Cross-Platform Netscape 9 to be Developed In-House
The crux is that they are expecting to launch a new version of Netscape in 2 months time (or so) that is fully cross-platform, and based on Firefox.

Hopefully it'll not be a problem to support (as long as they stick with the standards compliance built-in to Firefox)!

Cheers,
Jeff

[tt]Jeff's Page @ Code Couch
[/tt]

What is Javascript? FAQ216-6094

I was pretty disappointed with the last version of Netscape. It came in with the option to render a page like IE, or render the page like Firefox - which I thought might be interesting because I could essentially test my pages for IE and firefox using only one browser. But, I found half the time that netscape wouldn't render the page like either of the 2 browsers, so not only would I have to test my page for IE and Firefox, but I had to test it twice for netscape as well. It ended up being more of a hassle than anything....

-kaht

[small](All puppies have now found loving homes, thanks for all who showed interest)[/small]

I agree kaht... and by the sounds of it, AOL were just as dissatisfied (since they are taking development away from the external company managing it, and returning it to the "fold" in-house).

They appear to have an aggressive timeline, but I'm concerned that we'll just end up with another pile of code that doesn't do what it said on the box. Again.

Cheers,
Jeff

[tt]Jeff's Page @ Code Couch
[/tt]

What is Javascript? FAQ216-6094

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back