Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netscape 7.1 nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

yebaws

Technical User
Mar 22, 2007
GB
Help! I've designed a site - table free, W3C strict 1.0 compliant (well, it will be once I've tidied things up) and everything dispays fine in opera, ie 6 & 7, firefox, but in Netscape 7.1 the text in nearly all of the divs has moved to start at the top left of the page aaaggggghhhh!

This is a nightmare. Help much appreciated

It might make more sense to tell us the operating system you are experiencing this with. If you are using Windows, then I would suggest you upgrade to the latest Netscape... but I am guessing you are using MacOSX (since the last release of Netscape for that particular operating system was 7.1).

Nothing jumps out and says "I'm broken" when I look at the code. There are several long standing bugs with Netscape 7.1 -- you may be experiencing some of these (the one that springs to mind includes a combination of relative positioned elements within floated containers).

I suggest you get it XHTML 1.1 validating... and then strip out blocks of CSS and HTML until you have a working "minimal" codebase (that clearly exhibits the noticed behaviour) to test with. The HTML forum would then be an ideal place to paste this minimal code and get some further advice.

Cheers,
Jeff

[tt]Jeff's Page @ Code Couch
[/tt]

What is Javascript? FAQ216-6094

Thanks,

I've worked it out now - I had divs with absolute positions inside divs with relative positions. All other browsers apart from netscape 7.1 interpret these absolut positions as being absolute *inside* the div that they are nested in. Netscape interprets them as being absolute within the whole page, so they all head off to the top left.

I'm fixing it by changing them all to relative positions.

Tempted just to go back to tables 'though......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back