Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netscape 6.2 "STYLE" attributes with XSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiel2001

Programmer
Nov 1, 2001
US
Okay... on to bigger better problems.

I'm having a problem with Netscape 6.2 users and my XSL stylesheets. I make fairly heavy use of <DIV> tags in the transforms and use the &quot;STYLE&quot; attribute of those tags to locate the layouts on the screen (X,Y) and to size them.

This works as advertised in IE 5.5 and IE 6 -- However, Netscape 6.2 appears to be ignoring the style attribute and places all of the layers in the upper left corner of the page when performing XSL transforms.

FWIW: I create my pages in HTML using Dreamweaver and convert them to XSL by hand. The HTML &quot;template&quot; pages all work correctly in Netscape -- that is the divisions are properly located and sized. However, if I convert that page to a stylesheet and view it, the divisions are messed up.

Has anyone encountered this problem with Netscape and, if so, can you offer a suggestion as to a fix? I'm having zero luck getting help from Netscape on it.

I also note that text wrapping is performed differently between HTML and XSL transforms in Netscape 6... The XSL transform inserts extra whitespace between each line of text while the HTML text wrap does not.

For examples of what I am talking about see...

(works)

and...

(broken)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I must say this browser version dependency thing is kicking my butt!

Here's another exmaple of &quot;odd&quot; behavior from Netscape 6 regarding output formatting...

The following code fragment is intended to provide a link list at the top of each table in the output to allow the user to jump to one of the other tables. Note that it is supposed to be creating a list of links on one line. In Netscape 6, each link is output on a new line as though I had inserted a <br/> in each itteration of the loop.

Anyone have a clue what might be causing these sorts of formatting issues in Netscape?

<xsl:for-each select=&quot;/Avatars/Group&quot;>
<xsl:sort select=&quot;Name/@value&quot;/>
<xsl:choose>
<xsl:when test=&quot;Name/@value = $group_name&quot;>
|<font color=&quot;#FFFF00&quot;><xsl:value-of
select=&quot;Name/@value&quot;/></font>|
</xsl:when>
<xsl:eek:therwise>
|<a><xsl:attribute name=&quot;href&quot;>#<xsl:value-of
select=&quot;Name/@value&quot;/></xsl:attribute><xsl:value-of
select=&quot;Name/@value&quot;/></a>|
</xsl:eek:therwise>