Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netra 210 Modem Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avayatech713

IS-IT--Management
Aug 23, 2007
US
Looking for ideas on why I can't dial into our new CMS server (Sun netra 2100).

The factory supplied DB9 connector are installed correctly on the Netra and the DB25 connector on the Sportster 33.6 and the factory CAT5 cable is connected to the DB9 & DB25.

Remote Avaya Site Admin software settings are exactly what I use to dial remote to all our switches & VMs - 9600-8-N-1 Hardware - Emulation 4425 (from my IBM Notebook) and I have tried the analog modem setting - generic 1200/2400/9600 + generic 9600, etc and while the modem answers and handshakes every time - and the ASA terminal Emulation screen opens up when connected - I cannot get a Login.

This is driving me crazy. Should be simple. I have tried (4) different Sportster 33.6 modems - same result.

I put an RS-232 tester on the DB25 connector from the CMS - no connecttion to the Sprotser yet - got green LED on TD & Red on RTS & DTR. When I connected the tester w/ the DB25 to the Sportser and turned it on - Green was TD-CD-RD & Red was RTS-DSR-CTS-DTR. When I dialed into the server - and got a successful handshake - the TD & RD were green and other LEDs were red .... but no login come up on the ASA terminal screen?

Very strange. I'm guessing it is something simple so any help or tips would be helpful.

Here is the problem in detail I am getting with trying to setup the modem for remote console connectivity via ASA.

Page 34 of the Avaya CMS Installation manual for configuring the remote modem shows - after temporarily setting the DIP switches for programming the modem to 1-3-7-8 down on the 33.6 Sportster - run this command line. After programming of modem is completed - the DIPs get set to 4-8 down for normal connections.

/cms/install/bin/abcadm -r ttyb

Running this command returned the correct message for programming mode "ttyb is currently set to be incoming - are you sure you want to change it Y/N?"

Selected Y and the message was returned "TTYB admin removed"

The 2nd command to run is ...

cu -s 9600 -b 8 -1 cua/b (typed it exactly as in the manual - numerous times)

This command is supposed to return the message "connected" and then you run the modem setup commands ... AT AT&F1 AT&W0

The problem is when I run the CU line command I get the following syntax message error

cu [-dhtnlc] [-c device] [-s speed] [-1 line] [-b 718] [-0 | -E] telno | systemname [local-cmd]

Looks like Unix is looking for additional parameters in the "cu -s 9600 -b 8 -1 cua/b" command line ... but I'm not sure what to add to run it correctly. I tried some possible add-ins but nothing works.

Any ideas from some of the Solaris techs?

Also - have the ASA properties for this dial-in connection set to 9600-8-N-1-hardware and the modem type set to 9600 Generic w/ terminal Emulation as 4425.

cu -1 should be changed to cu -l (line)

looks like a typo in your manual

A great teacher, does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

35 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 25 years and counting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back