Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netopia DSL router not allowing internet access for computers on hub..

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdcr

IS-IT--Management
Oct 3, 2001
US
On an network with 9 machines (1 server NT4.0, 8 workstations W2K), all connections go to a Linksys hub and then to a Netopia router for the DSL connection. No (or very inconsistent) internet access for any of these computers, but when connecting directly from laptop to back of router (forgoing the hub), connections (pings) are slow but nonetheless present. DSL company says it is not the router but something on our network, but no machine is flooding the network with packets, utilities show little broadcast activity, hub shows no collisions taking place. Could any processes in that internal network cause undetected traffic and therefore no internet access? Could the hub have gone bad (inconsistent packet delivery)? Or is there a chance that the router could be faulty with more than one connection attached? I am running out of possible causes...Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure if this will help, for two reasons: I don't really understand this stuff too well, and I don't know if my problems and yours are the same. Anyway, I've had lots of intermittent slowdowns for several months, and after trying a lot of solutions, here's what seems to be working the best:
First, I changed my DSL subscription to have a static IP rather than a private IP address, when I learned that without a static IP the DSL modem as well as the router use a NAT process, and the double NAT'ing is what might slow things down. Second, I changed to a different router, which seems more friendly to my particular system (Mac + PC). Third, I got all new cables, though in retrospect that might not have been necessary. You might start by checking with your ISP about whether you have a static IP and whether you can get one (my subscription went up by $5/month). Good luck.

We need some more info.

On your DSL router(already mentioned) find out if a static address is given.

How have you got the NAT set up on the router.

Cheers

Terry

NAT on the router....let's see, I know that they set up an A record for their website that runs off of their internal server, and an MX record for their Exchange server inside the network that receives external mail. All users have static addresses, as for the router, I am pretty sure that they have a static address, but I do need to check on that...The problem seems to have been alleviated by taking out the hub they had and replacing it with a switch. Don't know if that fixed the problem or just allowed more traffic to move through their network faster, and, therefore, not noticing the problems anymore...

Hello,
I have similar installation in Paris (FR).
I just want to point out the fact that - as pennman80 mentioned - the cable problem is a true one.
On a 10/100 network, you can scramble the whole trafic with a poor cable. Be sure to use good ethernet cables.
I used a flat (non pair-twisted) cable for a while and it was responsible for major slow downs.
If you suspect a cable, just try it as a link in a "simple" configuration, for example as a direct link between a computer and the router and trying to open the telnet communication with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back