Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netmeeting or Terminal Svc Through Firewall 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 30, 2003
US
I have a Win2k client behind a firewall trying to connect to a remote server over the Internet. The client can access the remote resources made available by the WEB Services through IE. However, I can NOT connect to the remote server through Terminal Service, Netmeeting, and FTP.

It looks like the Proxy (Firewall) have blocked certain ports. Is there a way to make terminal service or netneeting go through a certain port (Port 8080 in this case which IE is using) to connect to the remote server?

Please help me out... Thank you.

mickeytech,

For terminal services, you can open port 3389.

Peping

Peping, Thank you for the input. The problem is that I have no control over the Proxy (Firewall) and have to work with whatever ports that are open. Is there a way to change the terminal services' default port 3389 to 8080? Thanks again.

You can change the port TS listens on
Though reading your post suggests the network is completely firewalled apart from the proxy on port 8080 so this isn't going to help.

I don't think either VNC or Terminal Services web client licenses will transverse a http proxy either.

Thank you for the link. The interesting thing is that I can ftp through IE but NOT from a command prompt. I thought FTP is FTP and they all use port 21. Will this be the case with Terminal Services, too? Do you think that I will run into a problem even though I set the TS server and client all on port 8080? Thank you.

When you use FTP within internet explorer you are using the proxies that are setup within IE. When you use the command prompt you are going for a direct connection - which isn't going to work.

> Do you think that I will run into a problem even though > I set the TS server and client all on port 8080?

It won't work. You are firewalled from your machine so won't get a direct connection, and RDP (ts protocol) won't transverse the HTTP proxy.

I would look into using VNC. Find out what proxy software they use, and find out whether Secure HTTP (443) & Socks (1080?) are also proxied.

I'm sure there are open source utils to allow VNC access through these proxies (maybe even through a standard http proxy aswell).

VNC looks like a good tool. On the download website, there is a screen showing it going through a web browser. I will try it and let you know how it goes...

Thanks again for your help.

Hi ashpp,

I installed VNC and am getting 'Failed to connect to server' error. How do I make it go through a browser (HTTP) connection? Also, you talked about the 'open source utils'. Where do I find those and how should I use them?

Your help is greatly appreciated. Mickey

Thank you, ashpp, for your kind help. I looked at VNC server programs and couldn't find a way to change its default port. I wonder if you could point me in the right direction. When I tried to connect to my server from the browser, using port 5800, I get a blank white screen. When I try port 8080, I got connection error. When I try port 80, I got through and my web page is displayed. I guess only port 80 is open from the client site. What will happen to my web site if I change the VNC server to listen on port 80?

Also, thank you for the VNC proxy link. I downloaded the files, read the readme file, but still couldn't figure out what to do with them. Hopefully, I do not have to use the proxy stuff. In case I couldn't get it to work with the port change, how would the vnc proxy help? Thanks again for your help. Mickey

Looks like VNC requires a Telnet session through the browser. Since the firewall blocked telnet, I guess I am out of luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back