Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Netlogon share "access denied" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitalRolly

Technical User
Aug 26, 2001
AU
Hey all...
Interesting one for all you ppl out there...
As a user of the "administrators" "domain admins" group, I can access the share fine... BUT! :) As users from the "domain users" or "everyone" groups i get the access denied error... so my login scripst don't run...
I've checked the share and security permissions and they are set to how micro$oft likes them to be... Funny quirk though... I do a copy of a user when creating a new account and I have the same problem... But when I create a brand new fresh user the login scripts run, but (again) I can't access the netlogon share...

Suspecting the SAM is corrupted... the fella who looks after the day to day runnings of the workstations is a bit of a fiddler so I'm guessing he might have had a part in it...

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Rolly

It does sound like a SID problem.

Try creating a new user (lets call it FRED) and give FRED the standard user rights. Get a user to log on as FRED for a test. Delete the users current name (the fiddlers user name could be a good one) then rename FRED to the users name.

The renamed user should be able to log on now. I hope that isn't too confusing!?!?

If you delete a user and then create a new user with the same name the new user will not be able to logon to the same share the old user name could (SID problem). So you can create a temp user and then rename it the old users name. New Zealand, a great place to live.
tokala@orcon.net.nz

Yeah, I have tried that...
Found new creation (not copied from an existing user) "testuser" could log in and login script runs fine, but if I browse network neighbourhood go to my server and try to look in the "NETLOGON" share it comes up with access denied...

Very weird...

How can I run batch files from directories I have no access to??? :p

I have seen this a couple of times now. both were as a result of viruses Nimda.

so what you need to do is replace the Netlogon folder. Just copy down how all the settings are now and created a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back